Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Relationships Misconceptions

Loving relationships are important part of our lives and we try to nurture these in our own ways.
But sometimes our unrealistic expectations and misconceptions defeat our relationships.
R.M. Gilbert, in his book "Extraordinary Relationships" mentioned some common expectations and misconceptions-
• The other person will make me happy.
• I can change the other.
• Emotionally mature person must be cold and unfeeling.
• It is my right to respond from my emotions to my partner’s anxiety.

• This relationship will never get any better.
• I have changed myself all I can and things aren’t any better.
• Whenever one “needs” to talk it out or get feelings out, the
other must agree to listen.
• Excessive worry about the past- your own or the other
person’s- is often defeating to relationships.
• If you don’t love me like my mother did, you don’t love me.
• I can cut off from my extended family and still have good
relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment